Photocopying & Scanning Policy
The Caroline County Public Library provides photocopiers for public use located at the Central Library in Denton, the Federalsburg Branch and the North County Branch in Greensboro. Copies are black and white. Regular (8.5 x 11) and legal size (8.5 x 14) reproductions choices are available.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17 United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproduction of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
PROCEDURES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Copies are $0.25 per side; double-sided copies are $0.50. Payment is made directly to library staff when the copying is complete.
- The Library accepts cash or check as payment for photocopies.
- The Library is not responsible for bad photocopies due to user error (using the photocopier incorrectly).
- For machine errors, such as lines and toner defects, the Library will provide a replacement copy. Please direct these issues to library staff.
- Users should report any machine errors immediately after the first bad copy to the nearest service desk.
- Users can ask for staff assistance in making copies.
- Users are allowed to bring in their own paper at the discretion of staff, however there is no reduction in the per page cost.
- The Library copiers are best suited for small jobs. Customers are encouraged to use office supply or printing stores for jobs over 50 pages. Library staff can provide referrals.
The photocopiers may also be used as scanners either to a jump drive or sent to an individual’s email. There is no charge for this service.
Approved by the Board of Library Trustees for Caroline County 6.11.14